As some of you already know, my sister Sarata and I created a group called Guinée Espoir a few years ago. The purpose of this organization is to help better the lives of children living in Guinea, West Africa. Each year we work on a different exciting project (see more on our work here). This year, we’ve decided to go all the way and work on a very ambitious project. What better way to share this than on Africa on the Blog? We hope you will join us in our efforts to make this happen. So here is it…
Guinée Espoir is building a new library in Guinea, West Africa!
With very few libraries in the country and only a couple of schools in the area providing modest library resources for their own students, Guinée Espoir feels there is a crucial need for a public library so that children everywhere can learn more and broaden their horizons.
We hope to be able to achieve our goal to build this facility within the next 2 years. The first stage will consist of fundraising enough monies to acquire the necessary resources to build the library. Our goal is to have space donated for the library. The second stage will entail building and equipping the new facility. For Guinée Espoir’s 9th project, we’ve partnered with an organization called FJC who has agreed to be our fiscal sponsor.
The library will offer books covering multiple subjects as well as a few computers with internet access and software for research purposes. Once the library is set up, we will have accomplished our goal of providing a learning environment for youth outside of school.
In addition we will facilitate a few workshops each month. These workshops will deal with a broad range of subjects such as: health, nutrition, HIV/AIDS awareness, hygiene, literacy: basic English and French grammar…
We will work with experts in the fields and the Guinée Espoir Advisory Committee to make this project a success. But we can’t do it alone! Please join us in our efforts to make this project happen. Below are a few ways you can lend your support:
Help us fundraise:
- If you believe that your company or one that you know of would support this project through sponsorship, in-kind donation (books, computers, furniture, shelves…) or a monetary donation, please contact us at email@example.com
- Create your own fundraiser at work or school, with colleagues, family and friends and help us raise funds for the library project
- Do you have a contact working at a foundation and can help us get a foot in the door to introduce this project? Let us know!
- We are looking for individuals who have a background in architecture, design, library management, workshop building, photography, videography, editing and shipping to volunteer some time consulting with us on this project. We would also love help in other capacities. If you have some free time and are as passionate about helping out as we are, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Help spread the word:
- “Like” our group on Facebook, join our event page and Post this project on your social network pages (Facebook, Twitter, blogs…)
- Are you a journalist? A blogger? Do you write for a magazine or newspaper? Write an article about Guinée Espoir’s efforts to build a library.
- Post flyers in places you think people would be interested to support. Also, if you are hosting an event, consider leaving some of our material for attendees to grab. Contact us and we will mail you some material! email@example.com
Hold a book drive:
- We are looking for books in both English and French but mostly in French. Contact us and we can provide you with the necessary information to start your drive. Everyone has books in good condition that they no longer want or books they bought that they will never read to donate!
Make a donation
We are always grateful for your support.
- Checks should be made payable to FJC. Please add “Guinée Espoir” in the memo line of the check or the document accompanying the contribution or the funds will not be deposited. Checks may be sent to FJC at: 520 8th Ave, 20th Floor, New York, NY 10018
- You may also make a donation through Paypal by clicking HERE
- If you would like to make a contribution to Guinée Espoir via wire or appreciated securities, please contact FJC directly at: (212) 714-0001 so that they may forward you the appropriate transmittal instructions.
Books can be shipped to:
Saran and Sarata Kaba
320 East 25th Street
New York, NY 10010
Any question? Please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to changing the lives of Guinean youth with your help! And if you’ve worked on a similar project, we’d love to get your feedback. Thanks in advance!